Renderings don't lie! Construction Complete on the West Dorm at Phillips Academy
09.09.16 / Peter Reiss, AIA, LEED AP
Less than 18 months since the beginning of design, the major renovation to transform the old Isham Infirmary into the new West Dorm is almost finished. Andover retained ARC in the spring of 2015 to find a way to transform the old facility into a new appealing residential address for both students and faculty.
The 1934 building needed a complete makeover to transform both the physical and aesthetic qualities of the building within the shell of the historic brick wall and slate roof structure. The original plate glass windows of the south facing "Solarium" were replaced by a new addition for the two faculty residence "town houses", using small scale windows, paneling, and porches to match the qualities of the adjacent and now interconnected 1912 "Isham Dormitory".
A second addition has also been created between the two original buildings to replace the original ambulance drop-off area with a welcoming student entry that is connected to the campus paths. The Student Entry addition utilizes similar exterior detailing to the Faculty addition to unify the two historic buildings into a cohesive set of campus residences.
Faculty and students have moved in. Look for more photographs to come, including views of the new, transformed interior spaces!