Williams College, Williamstown, MA / Hopkins Hall Renovation and Addition
Originally designed by Allen and Kenway, Hopkins Hall had not been updated since its completion in 1890. ARC was commissioned to design a renovation of the existing building to meet current code and programmatic requirements, and an addition to increase the existing building’s usable space by more than half.
The addition to the Romanesque-revival building is constructed of brick and stone, echoing the materials and scale of the existing building. Specially sized brick and careful detailing help integrate the addition with the existing east and west facades. The north elevation, incorporating the new main entry to the building, takes on a more contemporary expression. The new facility, in keeping with its past tradition of mixing administrative and academic functions, provides space for offices for administration, along with seminar rooms, conference rooms and large interactive classrooms.